JOIN THE NERDHERD!
Special Opportunity to Support a Nerd!
We all know there are a billion technology tools out there to help us, but where do we find them? I’m writing Release Your Inner Nerd as a follow up to my first book, “Upgrade to Free: The Best Free and Low-Cost Online Tools and Apps.”
The book will be full of free and bargain technology tools that we can use at work, home, school and life to keep ourselves organized, productive, connected and on the ball.
ESTIMATED PUBLISHING DATE: MAY 2013!
My publisher went out of business last summer (not my fault, I swear), so I am tackling the writing, design, copyediting and marketing projects on my own. That gives me the opportunity to involve you — my fabulous nerdy friends — in the next edition! We’ll call our group the NerdHerd!
Every member of the NerdHerd will receive:
- Behind-the-scenes updates about the book
- Free registration for a NerdHerd-only webinar this summer
- Opportunities to vote on cover designs, favorite tools and more
- Hot-off-the-press copies of the book
- Special giveaways and offers from vendors
- …And more!
I’m modeling this pledge project after Kickstarter, a grassroots funding site that sadly rejected my proposal, saying my work fell outside their project scope. We can do the same thing right here!
I need to raise $4,000 to pay the designers and other folks who can help me bring the book to shelves, plus it’ll cover the costs of the writing retreat and cupcake supply I’ll need to finish the book.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions you have about me or the book. Thanks for joining the NerdHerd!
JOIN THE NERDHERD!
Nerdy Buddy: $15
One signed copy of “Release Your Inner Nerd” and a Nerdy Best Friend button – plus a mention in the book with your favorite tool!.
Nerd Squared: $20
Two signed copies and buttons (shipped to one address), plus a mention in the book with your favorite tool!
Office Pack: $50
Six signed copies of the new book plus buttons (shipped to one address).
Your favorite tool (and credit) in the book.
BONUS! Also includes 30-minute phone consultation with Your Nerdy Best Friend about your office’s tech tools.
Why Should You Support Your Nerdy Best Friend?
Take 62 Seconds to Find Out!
FAQs about the NerdHerd
When will the book be published?
The goal is to have it in your happy little hands by the end of May 2013.
What happens if you don’t finish it?
First, complete humiliation. Then, everyone will be offered a refund, with the exception of my husband, who has a legal obligation to support my crazy ideas. I put the clause in the prenup.
What happens if you finish it, and, well, it sucks?
That would be awkward, wouldn’t it? If you really, really hate it, you can donate it to a library you don’t like and I’ll send you your money back. If everybody hates it, I’ll give up writing forever and get a job at Starbucks.
How much money do you need to raise?
My goal is $4,000, but I really need $6,000 to hire top-notch freelancers to help me make this even more awesome than the first book.
Why don’t you just pay for the freelancing yourself or use some of your free tools?
My original idea was to run a campaign through Kickstarter, the super awesome grassroots funding site that allows artists and other smart people to bring their ideas to life. I thought it would be awesome to go through the experience so I could share tips and lessons learned with my audience.
I spent several weeks getting the Kickstarter project ready, and when I finally submitted it… errr, umm, they said no. Turns out that they don’t allow projects that are “how to” or self help. They said they focus on “creative works.” I was a little hurt that they didn’t consider a book about nerdiness a creative work, but I’m over it.
After Kickstarter said no, I considered another site, Indiegogo, which has a broader scope of funding categories. But those sites take out a chunk, and the payment merchant takes a chunk, so I thought I’d run one myself to avoid fees and make better use of your pledges.
And as for using free tools and my own elbow grease to do the book on the super cheap — I thought about it, believe me. But I’m not a designer or an indexer or even a very good copyeditor. To make the book a better product for readers, I want to hire people who know what they’re doing, and they’re worth what they charge.
I’m so excited about the book that I signed up at a pledge level that allows me to submit a tool and actually be quoted in the book! When do you want me to send in my favorite tool and info?
You will receive a link to fill out a form when you sign up.
I signed up for the Office Pack, but we’re a virtual office. Will you mail the books to my colleagues wherever they are?
The pledge level includes shipping to one address, but I will ship to anyone you choose and invoice you for the postage. Since I’m going to ask my husband to help me pack and ship, he’ll throw in the handling for free.
Praise for Upgrade to Free: The Best Free and Low-Cost Online Tools and Apps
- “Very useful book. As someone who has shied away from using a lot of online tools and apps due to costs, this book opened up a world of great tools for free or for a very small fee. Wonderful! This book is cover to cover useful information for anyone in today’s technical world.”
- “I love being able to open the book to a random page and get an idea that I can try out. It is fun to browse through and easy to use.”
- “Great resource. Lots of solutions for online problems and I love the price — Free & Low-Cost! Beth is a great writer and makes it very easy to follow, even if you aren’t computer savvy.”
- “The author does an outstanding job of highlighting each productivity tool and has some great advice on how to best implement them in a way that works for the user. I also really love the format of this book. The QR codes are a really unique way to present the information. Love this! Recommended to anyone who uses the web in their daily life!”